Saturday, November 05, 2005

Outdoor Counter


Here is my latest project. Back, 5 years ago, when I bought my house I had to rebuild the deck. The previous owners had built the 16X10 deck but they had only put one center support and used untreated wood. It was pretty nasty and you didn't dare walk on it in your bare feet. I had built this counter, I can store the grill under it from the other side, and experimented with the top of it. I had tiled it with bits of beach glass, old tiles from the bathroom, and other neat things that had color to them. Well after about 4 and a half years it is falling apart.....just the top........so I am redoing it. I studied what was wrong with it and will correct those mistakes.

I had only one support running lengthwise and the weight of the tile and grout really calls for 2.

Use more tile and objects this time and less grout.

Secure the wood sides with more screws this time....then it won't be able to warp.

Use a sealant over the treated plywood anyways.

I completed everything today but the decorating........I'll post pictures tomorrow after that is done. Till then.......happy projects!

PS....yes the rabbit cage in the background is on my list of "To Dos" Its getting removed.


No comments: