Saturday, July 16, 2005

Back

So it has been awhile. I was in Virginia for close to 2 weeks, getting some R&R. Boy did I need it and I coulda used more. The trip was great and coming back to reality sucks, especially my reality. I have never cared for living in Florida, but every trip away from the area reminds me of just how much. Of course life here could be a little more appealing if I didn’t have such a crappy job.

Back to the vacation........ Does this place not look peaceful and serene?

I get lost here...I have no sense of time or what day it is. I love to go hiking in the woods, or sit by the river and watch the deer and beavers do their thing. There is a train on the other side of the river and it runs tobacco back and forth between the fields and processing plants. I love the sound of the whistle and the wheels on the track. It is a soothing sound. It relaxes. The other commom noises heard in this land of paradise is the squak of the peacocks and the chattering of the guinea hens. They mostly strut about the land keeping the yard free of ticks and other bugs. They chase each other and can be rather entertaining to watch. The Guinea hens like to pick on the peacock, who's name is Blue, and pull his feathers out. Blue just showed up one day last year out of nowhere and sticks around because he knows there is always food to be had. There is another one but he is kept in a large pen with his three ladies, his name is Fred.
While we were there we built a retaining wall to help hold up the hillside that the house sits on. and stained a fence. A rather light load this year.


Spent the 4th of July at Poplar Forrest. It is the summer home of Thomas Jefferson. A must see for any history buff. Here we poked around at the displays of toys, laces, beading and other crafts of the time. At 3PM Thomas Jefferson came out and read the Declaration of Independence and spoke some words about his life and wishes for the future. Kinda cool.

I really just spent most of my time chillin ...you know...fishing, hiking, nature watching and just sitting at an outdoor table with a river view chugging Killians, eating peanuts, and chatting with my brother, son, father and father's wife.

Sweet!

1 comment:

MaxieCat said...

S,
Sounds like a good time. You'll get the rest of that relaxing in during August :)

Let me know some things you want to do, since I'm off we can take some day trips. Cedar Point or Kennywood if you like coasters, Niagra Falls if you've never been there (bring your passport or birth certificate, they are getting fussy about that) or anything else you want to do. I am looking forward to a fun week hanging out.
m