Thursday, July 06, 2006

A New Room


With my son out of the house I wanted to clean his toxic waste site of a room, ASAP. By Thursday I was donning the hazmat suit and digging around in the debris. In total I had nearly 2 full dumpsters (150 gallon size) of trash, and I do mean trash! It took me a total of 14 hours to go through all the garbage that littered the space. The room was last painted 6 years ago when I moved in. 3 walls were white and one wall and all the trim had been done in Detroit Redwings red, Peter was a redwings fan. Red and white rope lights now only half hung from the ceiling and the white paint was dingy, splotchy and full of holes from the two million pictures, posters and car parts that Peter had hung on the walls. I volunteered BC to help me paint.................... he even helped pick out the colors............. of course his motivation to help me get this room cleaned up was that I couldn't spend any weekends at his place until I had a room that the ferrets could be free in to run around and play in for 2 days. So we set to work. First we pulled down the sagging rope lights and peeled the glue off the ceiling. We primed and painted the walls and trim. Once the paint had dried we put shelves up in the room and put the futon and coffee table in place. We removed the door and since it was in such bad shape decided to cut it in half and finish the top with a shelf to give people something to lean on for ther viewing comfort. This took us all day Saturday and Sunday. On Monday, after the paint had time to cure and there was no longer that "new paint" smell, we moved the ferret's cage in the room. I brought in their litter boxes, auto feeder, auto watering dish and their gazillion toys and tunnels. Finishing touch was a sign above the door that reads "Polecat Parlour" Oh such happy ferrets I have! I still let them run the house while I am home and put them in the cage at night or while at work, but if guests come over or if I want to disappear for 2 days, they have a ferret friendly room to play in and get all their daily exercise and the room can double as a guest room should some need to stay a night....there is the futon and in the closet (doors are removed and curtains hung) you will find a tv, shelves, some drawers and a radio........who could ask for more?

1 comment:

MaxieCat said...

Wahoo - an extra room.