Thursday, July 13, 2006

Sounds of the Night

I have fond memories of visits to my grandparent in Massachusetts. Our visits were often for several days and one of my sweet memories of my grandfather was his snoring. My grandparents were in the room at the end of the hall, but his snoring could be heard 'round the world. Funny thing is I took comfort in the sound of his deep sleep sounds. They were enough to wake me, give me a sense of security, and lull me back to sleep. So when is it that this became the annoying racket that disturbed my rest and sent me to the couch to sleep? I can't say I truly remember. I remember my ex snoring and I hated it, but was that only once I came to loath him? Did I carry that then to my next relationship with Pete? I often woke up and gave him a gentle shove to roll over......sometimes he was so tired that he only immediately started again and I would, once again, move to the couch. I can't remember.................. I can't remember when it went from comfort to disdain......................... I do know that lately when a certain person falls into deep lala land, he too snores (tho he may deny it) and while it wakes me up, I find myself contently drifting back off to sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No matter how much I'm in love, I resent having to be the one to spend the night on the couch. I've been wearing 32db earplugs for six years now, and I miss falling to sleep to rain and such. Snoring just pisses me off, after so much sleep deprivation. Snoring is what causes my insomnia.

Beachcrawler said...

I must say that as the snor-er in this particular rambling, I'm quite happy to know I bring fond memories and feelings of contentment flooding back to the snor-ee via my nocturnal nasal warblings and snurfles...who knew! I'm all gooseflesh! BC