Wednesday, May 23, 2007

KItty the Pin Cushion




So I have been stressed over one of the cats. Angel has been one health issue after another. First it was the UT, then bladder stones which required surgery and now its allergies.
Severe allergies.
She is a mess, open sores, scabs, dry skin patches and half bald. After removing various things from her diet, changing kitty liter, changing detergents, etc, etc, I had her tested and she came up positive to oak, elm and pepper trees, all of which are all over the neighborhood, common household mold and dust. She is now on antigen shots, hence my stress and hers. Learning to give shots is technically easy to do, but emotionally is another story. After being shown how to give shots the vet had me practice a few time on kitty with a saline solution. I did OK.....or thought I did, when 3 days later I had to give her a real injection, I only had the needle partially in and half went all over her coat.........well whats left of it. I had to make another attempt and this time never got it in her so once again the meds went all over her......the next three tries were her hissing at me and running away. I felt tears welling. I was hurting her. I gave up. Another 3 days and it was time for yet another try to give her, her allergy shot. 2 attempts and it was ended. I received 1 hiss and one nip. I called the vets and pleaded for help. That evening I took her in and the nurse made me do it in front of her. She said my approach was good but I was too slow and she gave me a demo of how the pros do it. Scruff, take aim and jab.....pull back to check there is no blood and then inject away. What I had to get over was the emotions that welled up that I was hurting her. Its easy to watch but as the pet owner we don't want to inflict pain on them. A hiss, cry or flinch implies we are. We feel guilty and we can't complete our task. In moving slow to get the needle in she felt the prick and had time to react, done quickly is less pain. Kinda like pulling the thorn out of a finger slowly versus yanking it out fast. So here today came and I had to try again. I pet her, and stroked her....scruffed up the skin......... and 1.....2.....wait.....regroup............1........... 2.......... stop!!! ........regroup again..........1............ 2 .......... a deep breath..........3! In it went pulled back, checked for blood....none and injected meds..... not a flinch, not a jump, not a bite or a hiss. One big happy dance all over the living room.

No comments: