Thursday, May 31, 2007

RICH vs RICH

I was discussing with a close friend the role money plays in some people’s lives. While money buys us the food on our tables and pays the bills, what we got into was how some people judge them selves by how much money they make or how much they have in the bank. I have always thought it sad that people make something material represent their own self worth. They have that monstrous house, the fancy sports car and all the up to date, name brand appliances and household electronics. What is the point of this. I have a house, it is small but suited me. It provides me with coolness in the summer and heat in the winter; It shelters me from the rain and wind. My truck gets me from point A to point B, and quite efficiently. My 12-year-old washer and dryer still do what they are supposed to do. When I turn on my 32" inch tv on it shows they same thing as that 58” tv. Who’s to say you enjoyed the program more just because it was bigger in your house. And what’s so great about vibrating your walls with music till the pictures fall of the wall. I don’t need to listen to my music that way to enjoy it. What you have doesn’t make you a better person. Yet there are the ones who have to chase the almighty dollar.
It is what defines them.
It is what makes them stand out
It is what makes them better than everyone else
It is their status in the world
It is their status within their company

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!

While I don’t like the idea that I will be working until the day I keel over into my grave, I look around me and I see my family, I see my friends and I know where my wealth comes from. I have friends that are truly loyal to me. Family that loves me. I know these people will stand by me in fair weather and in the stormy. I believe what truly makes us rich is what we have in our friends and family. All that material stuff hangs out on earth when we go but whom and what we are remains in others...in our children and our grandchildren and it is how we are judged when we stand at those pearly gates

No comments: