Friday, May 14, 2004

Critters

I know not everyone shares the same feelings as me about the animals that many share their homes with. I view mine as my children. While I have a human child, my furry ones seldom talk back, throw temper tantrums, or disrespect me. It amazes me how they only ask for food, water, shelter and an occasional petting. With this they are content, and in return, shower you with their loyalty, love and affection, with no questions asked.
And so it is that my home is open to any furball that wins my heart or has a sad story to tell. How is it that such little creatures can capture our hearts. For me, the paw that is placed on my lap or face, the kiss, the purr, the invitation to come play, are all signs of of affection that make me love these nbabies all that much more. Why is it in my hours of grief, tiredness, lonelines or frustrations, they can come to me, lay with me and quietly comfort me. Their quietness speaks words that humans can never say.

Why is it, that everytime I sit at my desk, one of my cats, jumps up and lays in front of me? She goes to sleep and does nothing more. Does she find comfort in me as I do her. Do they come to love us so much, that just being near us, is comforting to them? I do often wonder what emotions are in them when it concerns their feelings for us. Maybe thats why I look at each of these animals, as one of my children. They are individuals, each with their own distinct personality. They are family members. Each contributing to the whole.

Rest peacefully my little angel - Weeki - April 6th 2004

No comments: