Saturday, May 15, 2004

Religion

I see many people cringing at that title, but this isn't about preaching or discussing religion itself. I got an e-mail from my brother today and he discussed his religion and beliefs as he often does in his letters and it struck me how different I and all my siblings are in our beliefs. We were all raised in the same. We were raised Catholic, went to church every Sunday and either went to CCD classes or were in Catholic School My mother raised us all the same and no exceptions were made. There are 4 of us and I find it interesting the differences we all have when it comes to religion.
My oldest brother, well he just questions the existence of a creator and supreme being. He doesn't deny the existence but he doesn't necessarily believe either. My younger sister is the middle of the road. She goes to church on Sundays and generally follows the Catholic rules. Then there is my younger brother......he is the strong Catholic. Faithfully to church every Sunday and every religious holiday. He believes in the Catholic laws and applies it to his everyday life. Me, I believe in God but not in any particular denomination. I lost my belief in the Catholic Church when my son, while attending a Catholic School, was told that his mother would go to hell because she was divorced. I went and talked to the principal, but he wouldn't do anything about it. Said my son must have been mistaken.
I just find it interesting that 4 kids in the same house all believe in different things. Is it the life experiences that alter the way we view religion? And if you believe in God, does he really care how we worship him?

No comments: