Monday, August 16, 2004

Athens

Watching the Olympics is always a favorite of mine, but watching the summer Olympics this summer is impressive, just because of the wonderful sites in the background. I was watching the cycling the other day and occasionally there were glimpses of the Acropolis and the Parthenon. How cool is that! To be competing in the land where the Olympics originated, has got to be awesome. I wonder if the athletes look at those sites and think what an honor it must be to represent their country in the founding land? It would be awe inspiring to me. But then again if I had any talent that had taken me to any Olympics, I would be honored. I often had dreams of being an equestrian rider in the Olympics, but my parents never saw this as a seriously as I did. And so they never encouraged me or backed me and as a result I went no where with it other than personal enjoyment. I guess that is why I try to give my son every opportunity I can in his hockey endeavors, but I always leave the choices to him.

It seems to me that the Olympics should be reserved for those with the real talent, love of the sport, and desire to be good at what they can do. I wish they would go back to having nothing but amateurs. The US basketball team really tees me off. Those guys shouldn't be there. Since when does a person with a criminal past belong there? Criminal pasts of violence and racial riots. These guys are nothing but self-absorbed. Did someone say they want to be paid to play in the Olympics......oh please. I hope they fall flat on their faces, and so far they have. Basics and the love of the sport always prove stronger than showmanship and egos.
Oh well I have slid into a rant and my point was to comment on the awesome background setting of the Olympics and the spirit that goes with it.

No comments: