Sunday, August 15, 2004

Charley

Hurricanes are a pain in the arse, but what worries me is the complacency of people to leave. They have become so accustomed to the storms moving off at last minute to make landfall elsewhere or the storms don't pack the punch to do more than blow around the lawn furniture and some low land flooding. Here was a cat 4 hurricane coming straight for us and while I boarded up my windows, brought in every loose item in my yard, put tie downs on my sheds and prepared heavily, my neighbors did little but bring in the childrens toys. They even told me the were staying. Well my house is only 9 feet above sea level and the EOC was predicting 10 feet storm surge. Do the math. I said a prayer as I left my house, with rugrat, 4 cats, 4 ferrets, and 4 boxes of valuables in tow. We headed in land about 35 miles. We had a mandatory evac and still folks stayed. Fortunately for me and other residence of Tampa Bay, Charley headed inland to the south of us, to the misfortune of Fort Myers and Punta Gorde. So the lackadazical attitude will continue more in this area. I look at the destruction to my neighbors south of me and think..."It could have been me." My house could have been flooded or destroyed and I feel lucky that I was spared. And when the next storm comes, I will do the same, because I value my life, my sons life and my critters life more than I do my home and whats in it. Inconvenience can save your life. I can only hope that my neighbors think the same of their children.


No comments: