Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Open Mouth - Insert Foot..........I am such an ass

At work today, I was talking with a friend when her son IM’d her …..simply the word “Loser”. We laughed and I mentioned that often when Peter calls me on the phone he will say “Hey Whats up ho?” A third person had joined the conversation and said that she wasn’t so sure she would like that. I told her it was all in fun and he knew when it was appropriate and when it was not. Then I proceeded to mention that I also will call him names, like, little prick, or gay boy……at that very moment I felt about the size of an inconspicuous dust ball. See…….. the third person who joined the conversation is gay. When the exchange of great wit was over I made a point to stop by her desk and apologize profusely.

1 comment:

MaxieCat said...

S,
I know where you are coming from, I have done the same thing as well. I think that most gay people are used to being the brunt of jokes. It's something they have learned to deal with, especially when they are coming out and others don't know yet. Many of my gay family members, there are two, realize that people can be so comfortable with them, that they forget they are gay. What you did was prove that what happens in the bedroom, doesn't reflect how the person is outside that personal space. I also applaude you for apologizing to this person, it took a lot of courage to do that.