Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Birthdays

Yes another one creeps up here in a few days and as usual I tell those that remember, to forget it. Its no big deal and just let it pass. But no.......most people then assume that I don't like birthdays because it means I am another year older. Truthfully though, this doesn't bother me, whats another year? I don't feel like I am getting old. I don't feel like I am getting nearer to a foot in the grave. In fact I don't have a problem revealling my age. What has given me a dislike for my birthday goes back to having my birthday forgotten and a lack of close ones being able to plan a birthday. When I was married for many years I didn't have a birthday. My ex could never remember it, so it just passed and I got used to it. In later and recent years people remember and ask whatcha wanna do for your birthday. The words I speak say" Its no big deal, let it pass" What I think in my head is " What..... I gotta plan it?"
If you truly want to do something for a friend or family members birthday, take the initiative and handle planning the details. I appreciate when someone comes to me and says they want to treat me out on my birthday and to just keep the night free. This is the way I have always handled it with my friends and believe they truly appreciate not haveing to plan what they want to do while another pays. Its called putting forth an effort to please a friend or family member. After all I just figure if I am asked to plan my birthday, next I will be asked to pay.

3 comments:

MaxieCat said...

I have started feeling the same way as you. Dad forgot the birthday last year and Mom forgot it this year. Nothing like the parental units forgetting your birthday. Fortunately, Gordon always makes sure it is a nice day.

I agree with you, why should you have to plan something for your own day. I hope the "5 date" guy knows the day is coming up and plans something nice for you.

If I don't talk to you, have a good one :)

Sanity Lost said...

5 date guy has turned into a permenant fixture :)

MaxieCat said...

Really...

Details please :)