Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything

While many will not understand this, those that truly knew Pete will.

Well I decided to go face my last ghost in my life with Pete. I went to the beach to watch a sunset. As I drove out I hoped to see one ofthe brilliant ones that Pete and I often saw together. If I was to say a final goodbye, then I wanted it to be spectacular. I arrived on the beach and sat on one of the benches that Pete and I had sat on so many times before. As the sun began to go down I noticed thick clouds on the horizon. There were no brilliant colors in the sky, no rays piercing through the clouds, only haze and occassional oranges. I felt disappointment flood over me. I felt abandoned was about to call it a loss when I saw a pattern in the clouds that reminded me of a fish........... or a dolphin maybe. The orange of the sunset colored the body of the fish and it captured my attention. I watched it slowly swim it's way across the sky. I sat there on the bench and started laughing hysterically, any passer by would have thought me a lunatic. The words that went through my head were: So long and thanks for all the fish!

2 comments:

MaxieCat said...

I have been waiting for this... It is so hard to say goodbye and move on without feeling a twinge of guilt.

You must have felt a wave of sadness wash over you, then relief. It's time to move on. Sad as it may seem, Pete would want you to be happy, not dwelling on the past and "what should have beens."

I am really proud of you :)

Sanity Lost said...

The ending to this chapter of my life was just so like Pete and while I move on in my life without him I know he will still always be there.......


Shhhhhh don't tell the looney bin where I am