Tuesday, April 26, 2005

CoWorker - Boss - CoWorker

On my way to work today, I used the drive time the way I usually do....thinking about insignificant topics that run around in my head. Today I was thinking about how the work atmosphere has become so casual between everyone. When we were ICI in its heyday, dress was the higher end of business casual, to business dress. Formalities were afforded to those in management positions and they were to be addressed as Mr, Ms, or Mrs. When Intermedia was sold to MCI things started to become more lax. We started to have "jeans" Fridays, and the stricter codes of conduct became less so. Intermedia was always a good place to work.......we were allowed social conversations and such, but it was a very strict policy of business first. Now its casual work clothes, and some girls even come in looking like cheap street walkers. There is a lot of chit chat, and non business conversation and plenty of time where work does not come first. Everyone is on a first name basis with everyone else. The interaction between people is also different, and I mean just plain different. I would imagine that much of that is due to the fact that with all the lay offs we have gone through, that your boss today could be a co worker tomorrow and vise versa. This change could take place several times with one person. But as an example.........one day T is my boss, he is friendly, but keeps himself in check, so that he is within the guide lines of professionalism of management. Lo and behold with lay offs he is now my co worker and wow!, look out! He is now Don Juan......... let the sexual undertones....aw hell, overtones begin. Now these really don't bother me........ I antagonize........ and as long as it stays in fun and jest we are cool. Shit I worked in a restaurant for what seems like an eon and things got raunchy back in the kitchen. But I have had it work the other way where a co worker has become a boss and with that the management professionalism is a little fainter. Anyway...... my whole point is that the line between boss and worker bee is smeared, blurry, and fading fast. I have found that the constant changes within the company have given everyone a better chance to know each other. There is more camaraderie. Work is more bear able. And in a lot of cases, I think that more work gets done. But I also think we are unique, or at least somewhat unique. You are the last 140 people in a company that was once 4000 people. There are alot of shared trials and tribulations ........ storms weathered.......bouts of survivors guilt. That will make the bond a little different in any group. Good ..... Bad..... I’m not making a judgment call. I'm just putting in writing what was in my head this morning.

No comments: