Saturday, April 30, 2005

The Past Brought to the Present

A while back when Pete was alive, when he was making the job change between AMR and HCFR, I had carried him over on a month and a half of bills. He had decided to pay me back out of a trust fund account. At the time he went to write the check he was unable to find the check book. It started an argument.....not over the money but over the check book. We tore the house apart looking for it and never found it. As usual, when anything disappears or is misplaced, it was my fault. I had become accustomed, to both males in the house blaming me when they couldn't find something. It was my fault, in that while he left it on his desk, and I must have let one of the ferrets run off with it.........or it must have fallen off the desk, and I must have picked it up a put it some place while cleaning. I think there were another 3 or 4 reasons why it was my fault. Needless to say it was a bit of an argument and what was funny is that it wasn't over the fact I would have to wait to get paid beck, but that the checkbook was missing. I don't think I talked to Pete for a day because I was so pissed off that he made it out to be my fault. Eventually we both just forgot about it and it passed.

So whats the point, you ask??

I was looking for a photograph and was looking through the drawer on the table that Pete used for a desk. I was tired of standing so I pulled the drawer out and sat on the floor..... never found the photo but as I went to put the drawer back in, I saw something in the bottom of the drawer slot. I pulled it out and what was in my hand? The checkbook. The "you let the ferrets run off with it" checkbook. The "you must have put it someplace" checkbook. I smiled, then laughed. For the first time since he died, I felt as if Pete were here, with me. Maybe even giving me a belated, "I'm sorry," for the argument. I giggled over it for the rest of the evening.

No comments: