Friday, May 20, 2005

What has happened???

I blogged a few days ago about customer service in the fencing industy around my neck of the woods. It seems to me that it has become the norm to not care about the customers wants or needs. I went to a place of business today to have my oil changed and one of my front tires looked at due to a slow leak. I pulled in, and was greeted by a sign that said tires to the right, oil change to the left. Well I was having both done and figured the tire work was priority and chose the right lane. I waited by my truck and no one came to help me. I went in the store and asked the cashier for help. She asked if I had seen the service attendant and I replied no, that no one came to greet me or to help me out. SHe wwent and got a person from the garagae and they prceeded to discuss where the "attendant " was. Then they guy looks at me and asks if that is m truck parked in the right lane. I reply yes and I am told " Well thats why you didn't get service, your parked in the wrong lane." I looked at him and said" Your sign says tires to the right, and that is where I went. Do you want my business or not?"The guy looked at me and said, in a rather snotty tone, "We will have to find someone to check you in. " I just looked at him and told him not to bother that I wouldn't spend my money in a place that treated me in such a rude manner and I left. I went down the road to mmy auto dealer and was treated like I was the most valueable customer there was.
My question is .........What has happened to customer service? Are businesses doing so well that they just don't care if they offend?Do they think I enjoy being ignored or rudely treated? I don't know about anyone else but I will pay a higher price if it means I am treated well. And don't companies know that it takes forever to build a reputation of trust, but only a moment to destroy it? Or that people are more likely to speak of poor or crappy service than they will of good service. Is it that I just seem to be hitting the places that don't give a shit or is customer service going down hill real fast?

1 comment:

MaxieCat said...

It's unfortunate, but most places don't care. I think it has to do with the low wages these people make, as well as the fact that they have to put up with idiots and mean people all day long. This isn't an excuse, but a worker in that type of position generally doesn't "care" about their job or take pride in their work because they can walk down the street and get another job at the drop of a hat.

It's nice to be surprised when you get good service. Last week I ordered out from Applebee's. Around two, a manager called me to make sure my meal was fine and if there was anything they could do to make my next visit more enjoyable. First, I almost fell off the chair. Second, I was amazed that someone really cared what I thought. I see more and more companies doing this, but there are still a lot of smucks out there.