Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Aging Rock Stars

So this past weekend BC and I went to Coachman Park in Clearwater to see some old bands and musicians. I was hoping to be there early( 2is) cause I wanted to see John Ford Coley and Terry Sylvester of The Hollies, but someone, eh hem, had to get some work in on a Saturday, but I mostly wanted to see Lou Gramm, lead singer from Foreigner. Poco was also playing and a band called PinMonkey, which turned out to be country-western. When we got there Pin Monkey was already playing and wasn't too bad but never hearing of them I didn't know any of their music. Poco was on next and they were great! By 8PM it was time for Lou Gramm and the audience was really stoked. We were all dying to hear the old Foreigner hits. So Lou Gramm was announced and everyone went crazy. He came out singing and I looked at BC with a scrunched up face.......is this a joke? BC was laughing. This couldn't be! The man on stage was only half way through Double Vision and he was huffing and puffing and what was worse, he was warbling! The music was playing Double Vision, but the words were almost inaudible and off key!My mouth was agape. I was hoping that I was just hearing wrong or that any moment the REAL Lou Gramm would come out. 4 songs later and the man on stage was so outta breath he could bearly talk. The next song was I've Been Waiting, when he started into one of my all time favorite songs and couldn't stay on key, I just couldn't take anymore. I looked at BC and asked if we could leave.......I think he was still too busy laughing and rolling on the ground.
So I have pondered this for a few days now and can still only say to myself, "How sad!" Here was a man who had an incredable voice and was trying to live off that reputation and those old glory days. It seems that he had some major health issues back in 97 or so. He was diagnoised with a brain tumor. He had surgery , and although the tumour was benign, it resulted in radiation therapy and a year of rehabilitation. So I imagine that somewhere this took a toll on the voice, but has he not realized that he no longer carries the wonderful voice that rocked so mant people years ago? Has no one told him? Does no one care that he is up in front of people making a sad pathetic soul of himself? Why would the public accept this? Do we applaude and cheer because of what he once was? Personally I find it sad when we have to live in the past to feel good about ourselves today. Life is ever changing and we need to learn to go with the flow. Deal with what has been put in your path and move on.

1 comment:

Beachcrawler said...

Lou Gramm delivered a vocal 'drive by' on his audience that evening. He managed to destroy what was left of his dignity and career as surely as if he'd blown himself up on stage.

BTW, does anyone out there know how to get grass stains out of jeans?