Monday, May 01, 2006

Nothing Like Kids to Bring You Down

My son's car needs to be fixed. He wants to spend 3K on a new engine. I told him to go see what he can get for a non collateral loan if I cosign. (I want him to establish some credit) He proceeds to whine that he doesn't want just to fix the car. He is tired of his friends getting everything and he gets nothing.
Earn it I say....save money.....
It only falls on deaf ears. He proceeds to whine about the fact he has so little compared to his friends. He wants me to get a better job.
I remind him he I 18.
Again...He says....I am tired of having nothing....... Its a shame he doesn't remember the days after I left an abusive marriage and snuck out with the truck, clothes, half his toys, 3 pieces of furniture and our lives.
I look around and I see a house that I have provided..... food in the fridge......clothes on his back....... a computer....a tv in his room...... a stereo in his room..... and a car that works most of the time.
I look around and I see a load of wealth.....
He sees nothing.
It breaks my heart.

1 comment:

MaxieCat said...

As a child of a single parent that struggled, I was found that I was that way at times. I wanted better clothes, I wanted those designer jeans (yes, I am giving away my age) and I wanted a car.

It wasn't until I was out on my own, that I realized how difficult it is to make ends meet.

Maybe Pete needs a dose of reality - tell him if he doesn't like it, there's the door. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

When he sees that not everything in life can be handed to him, he may appreciate all you have done for him.